How to get the perfect wedding day smile!
Cosmetic dentistry is becoming more and more popular, with many of us realising that if we don’t like our smile, we can do something about it. Maybe you’re getting married in 2018 or you have a special event or big birthday bash to celebrate. Whatever the occasion, you will want to look your best.
If you are not happy with your smile, and you have an occasion you want to look your best for, don’t suffer in silence. There are more and more ways to enhance or change your smile these days and getting that perfect smile has become very achievable for adults all over the world. Below we look at just a few options on offer.
Teeth whitening is a relatively easy process to spruce up your smile and it makes a big difference, especially in those all-important wedding photos. Whitening is carried out to lighten the existing tooth colour to a lighter shade. It removes stains and is a safe procedure, giving great results. We use Prophy-Mate Neo, which is an air powered tooth polishing system and Flash Pearl for the whitening and cleaning.
We are also offering free teeth whitening when you have our teeth straightening treatments, so there is no excuse not to get that perfect smile!
Facial aesthetic treatments are another option to enhance your looks, which is growing ever more popular. Here at Abbey Dental Care, we offer a whole range of non-surgical facial aesthetic treatments. These can reduce wrinkles and smooth out lines as well as enhance your features.
There is a whole range of dermal fillers, which can be used to add volume or to lift and soften wrinkles. You will need an initial consultation and assessment, where you will be able to talk specifically about the look you wish to achieve and the problem areas you would like to address.
Dermal filler results are immediate and will usually last around 6-12 months. We can place the fillers with a series of injections from an ultra-fine needle. Or from The Raglan Suite, we pride ourselves on being able to offer the latest, most minimally invasive techniques by placing the fillers with a cannula.
We also offer Botulinum Toxin, which works by relaxing the muscles. This is a very effective treatment for softening lines that are highly visible when a muscle is active, such as when we smile, frown or raise an eyebrow.
Many studies the world over agree that a person’s smile is one of the main things we remember about a person. Your smile is important and that is why we are offering a smile makeover service at our dental practice. You can come in and discuss with us how you would like your smile to look and we can explore the best options for you to achieve this smile.
We can completely transform a mouth if it has broken, missing, discoloured or uneven teeth. We can also replace your silver fillings with more natural white fillings. Almost anything is possible and the first step is to book a consultation with your dentist.
If you would like to book a consultation to discuss any of the options above, please call 01757 705 607.
We are celebrating two anniversaries this month.
Sarah Taylor our Head Receptionist has been a key part of the practice for an amazing 25 years!
Our Principal dentist Kevin O’Neill is celebrating 21 years at the practice.
Here’s to many more happy years at the practice.
There are many different teeth straightening options available on the market nowadays and here at Abbey Dental Care, we offer four different methods, which include Inman Aligner, ClearSmile Aligner, Clear Guide and Invisalign.
Today, we focus on Invisalign and look at this innovative orthodontic system in more depth. Invisalign involves the user wearing a series of clear, customised teeth aligners over a period of time. This period can be as short as 3 months to 18 months, depending on how much the teeth need to move. The average length of treatment time is around 12 months for adults.
Your dentist will make a series of tailor-made clear, plastic aligners for you to wear and you will usually go back to get your new set of aligners every few weeks. The aligners must be worn for around 20-22 hours per day for the treatment to be effective. Some people experience temporary discomfort for a few days at the beginning of each new stage of treatment. This discomfort is usually described as more of a pressure feeling and will be alleviated after the first few days.
What are the benefits of Invisalign?
- The Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible
- They fit in with your lifestyle
- They are removable so you can clean your teeth easily and attend events aligner-free
- No restrictions on what you can eat or drink as can eat and drink without them in
- There are no metal brackets or wires that could irritate your mouth
- Allows the patient to view virtual results and a treatment plan before they start to see how they will look after the treatment is complete
- Mild, temporary pain of tooth movement at each new treatment stage
Is Invisalign right for you?
When considering Invisalign, the patient can have a computerised plan, which enables them to see how long treatment will take and to understand what to expect.
You can now upload a photo of yourself and submit it on a form to Invisalign who will simulate a visualisation of how you would potentially look after Invisalign treatment. This can be completed at www.invisalign.co.uk/en/Results/Pages/Smile-Simulation.aspx
Teeth straightening can not only improve a person’s confidence when they smile with pride, but it can also improve the functionality of the teeth. This can lead to the better long-term health of your teeth and gums as straighter teeth are much easier to clean and floss, resulting in better general overall oral hygiene, fewer cavities and reduced chances of gum disease.
Have you recently had an extraction and don’t like the thought of missing teeth?
Dental Implants are the answer
Implants offer a permanent solution to tooth loss. Additionally, implants may be used in conjunction with other restorative procedures for maximum effectiveness. We can use dental implants to replace one or more missing teeth with durable, permanent artificial teeth that are shaped and coloured to match the teeth around them. If a tooth is badly decayed or broken and cannot be repaired with a crown, a dental implant can offer a strong, naturallooking replacement. Implants can also be used to anchor dentures, and are very effective for denture wearers to improve the stability and retention of loose dentures. Whether you need a single space closing, implant retained bridge, or full denture stability, dental implants offer a great permanent alternative to premature tooth loss.
The dental implant procedure
A small titanium screw is gently placed into the jawbone, making sure that it seats completely. Due to the unique properties of the implant, it takes several weeks for the bone to attach to the implant – this process is called integration. Once the bone has integrated with the implant, we can attach a custom made porcelain crown to the implant, effectively creating a new permanent tooth. This restores the unsightly gap with a natural looking tooth, restoring your confidence and ability to chew. Dental implants look, feel and function like your natural teeth so you can forget about them and enjoy their benefits.
Benefits of dental implants for missing teeth
• Implants replace missing and failing teeth instantly
• Long-term solution to problems caused by missing or failing teeth
• Restore the healthy function and appearance of lost natural teeth
• Eat, chew, and speak with confidence again
• Smile with confidence again
• More secure alternatives to dentures
• No need for invasive bridgework involving the grinding down of healthy teeth structure
• Help preserve the structure of other healthy teeth
• Can replace dentures entirely providing a healthy and functional smile
• Maintains a youthful appearance and restores your natural smile.
Did you know that according to statistics from National Smile Month, a whopping 74% of all adults have had to have a tooth extracted?
Do you have a missing tooth? It can really affect your self-confidence and make you feel embarrassed to smile, particularly if it’s in a noticeable place.
There is a solution, dental implants, are a great way to replace missing teeth. Below we explain the process and examine some of the benefits of dental implants:-
Dental Implants – How do they work?
A dental implant in simple terms acts as your tooth root. A titanium post is surgically positioned into your jawbone beneath the gum line, and this new ‘root’ allows the dentist to add replacement teeth or a bridge to that area.
Benefits of dental implants
- They act the same as your natural teeth and do not move. Unlike dentures that can slip when you speak or eat, dental implants stay in place
- They are a well-established and safe and effective way of replacing teeth
- They help to protect the jawbone and prevent the other teeth from moving out of place
- They stop food and debris getting stuck in gaps and potentially causing gum disease
- They can increase self-confidence as you no longer have gaps in your teeth when you smile
- They can greatly improve speech, and you can eat the foods you like
- Implants are usually fitted under a local anaesthetic, so they are not painful to fit, although you may experience some general discomfort over the following weeks
- They last for a long time and usually at least 15 years or more
Good overall health is important when your dentist is considering dental implants for you. Patients who are heavy smokers or who have diabetes have a greater risk of developing gum disease or infections following the implant surgery. The general health of the gums and jawbone will be the main factors taken into consideration when deciding if dental implants are right for you.
Over 95% of implants are successful, and with good levels of oral hygiene and regular long-term care, the dental implants can last for over 15 years.
If you would like to discuss whether dental implants would be appropriate for you, please give us a call on 01757 705 607 for a consultation. You don’t have to suffer from missing teeth, and we have various payment scheme, with which you may be able to benefit.
Abbey Dental Care – National Smile Month News
National Smile Month is celebrating its 41st birthday this year! That’s a great number of years to be spreading the word about oral health and how to achieve and maintain a healthy mouth. However, there’s still work to be done.
The three main messages of this year’s campaign are to brush your teeth last thing at night and at least one other time in the day with fluoride toothpaste; cut down on sugary food and drinks and finally to visit your dentist regularly, as often as they recommend.
National Smile Month is for all dental and health professionals. As well as schools, pharmacies, colleges and community groups, which take part. In fact, it’s for anyone with interest in good oral care who would like to deliver a positive message about how to look after our teeth and gums and to improve the quality of people’s smiles within the UK.
There are thousands of events and activities occurring throughout the UK this month for National Smile Month, from 15th May to 15th June. To find out more about what’s on in your area, visit http://www.nationalsmilemonth.org/events/
As well as promoting visiting your dentist regularly, there are also some top tips for a healthy mouth:-
- Clean in between your teeth with an inter-dental brush or floss regularly
- Don’t use mouthwash directly after brushing as you rinse away the fluoride from the toothpaste
- Change your toothbrush every two to three months or sooner if the toothbrush becomes frayed
- To check if you have bad breath, lick your wrist, let it dry, then smell it, and if it smells then it’s likely your breath does to
- Avoid snacking and try to only have sugary foods and drinks at mealtimes as this reduces the time your tooth enamel is under attack from sugar
- Finishing a meal with a piece of cheese helps reduce the effects of acids from the foods damaging your teeth
Alongside those top tips, we liked some National Smile Month fun facts, such as:-
- ‘It takes 43 muscles to frown, but only 17 to smile.’
- ‘61% of us have been attracted to somebody by their smile alone!’
If you would like to contact us about any oral health concerns you may have or to book an appointment to improve your smile, please call 01757 705 607 or visit: