Did you know that according to statistics from National Smile Month, a whopping 74% of all adults have had to have a tooth extracted?
Do you have a missing tooth? It can really affect your self-confidence and make you feel embarrassed to smile, particularly if it’s in a noticeable place.
There is a solution, dental implants, are a great way to replace missing teeth. Below we explain the process and examine some of the benefits of dental implants:-
Dental Implants – How do they work?
A dental implant in simple terms acts as your tooth root. A titanium post is surgically positioned into your jawbone beneath the gum line, and this new ‘root’ allows the dentist to add replacement teeth or a bridge to that area.
Benefits of dental implants
- They act the same as your natural teeth and do not move. Unlike dentures that can slip when you speak or eat, dental implants stay in place
- They are a well-established and safe and effective way of replacing teeth
- They help to protect the jawbone and prevent the other teeth from moving out of place
- They stop food and debris getting stuck in gaps and potentially causing gum disease
- They can increase self-confidence as you no longer have gaps in your teeth when you smile
- They can greatly improve speech, and you can eat the foods you like
- Implants are usually fitted under a local anaesthetic, so they are not painful to fit, although you may experience some general discomfort over the following weeks
- They last for a long time and usually at least 15 years or more
Good overall health is important when your dentist is considering dental implants for you. Patients who are heavy smokers or who have diabetes have a greater risk of developing gum disease or infections following the implant surgery. The general health of the gums and jawbone will be the main factors taken into consideration when deciding if dental implants are right for you.
Over 95% of implants are successful, and with good levels of oral hygiene and regular long-term care, the dental implants can last for over 15 years.
If you would like to discuss whether dental implants would be appropriate for you, please give us a call on 01757 705 607 for a consultation. You don’t have to suffer from missing teeth, and we have various payment scheme, with which you may be able to benefit.